Sunday, September 25, 2011

Coming back from Tahoe retreat

Tahoe trip

The main thing I have in common with the junior high leaders and kids is Jesus and the cross. Bottom line, that's what it all boils to. Different culture, different church, different junior high experience, and different personalities. 

But I love serving alongside this group. They are simply amazing. Funny, carrying, unique and interesting, with a strong love for Jesus and a deep faith. 
We all gather around this purpose, this goal, to serve and lead the junior highers. 

My take aways this weekend.
I have grown do much in my shoes as a small group leader. I realize now that I have been waiting for their validations and acceptance in the group. Even expecting them to quietly accept what I have to say. 
I realize now that they look up to me, not the other way around. 
My story matters, as a base line of who I am and how I can impact them, my story with Jesus, but it's their voice that needs to be heard and journey of faith to be traveled. 
I sometimes get so wrapped up in my own history, and I hope and expect them to relate to hid the same way as I did. Reading the bible, letting God speak to me through psalms and proverbs, and all the other stories. I was the quiet one who journaled and processed things in silence. 
Now I have to just be flexible and expect the unexpected. Learn to communicate with the thinker, the crisis make, the distracter, the talker, the bible geek etc. 
I do love and like my girls. 
I don't always know how to relate to them. But they have changed my life by being in it, and I believe I have influenced theirs a little bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment