Monday, August 8, 2011

Discipline vs. instant gratification

We often wonder, whenever we do something: what's in it for me? And when will I be rewarded, and how much?
Discipline is an outdated concept, overly used when I was a young student. "Indisciplinat!" was the worse a teacher could call you.
Discipline takes time and hard work, and a thought process and a plan... but bottom line it takes a lot of work of molding your character. Mastering your own will, understanding what's best for you, even if it doesn't feel good in the moment.
I am thinking about athletes who train and exercise for years, to keep their body disciplined and strengthened. Some of them learn to enjoy the process of disciplining their body.
Either way, we ought to do the same with our minds and spirits.
Everybody talkes these days about how poorly have the romanian students performed at their high school exit exam. Peers that passed this exam say that if the students would have studied just a little bit and have tried to ass this exam, they would have done it.
I personally don't know what happened. I have been so disconnected with the school system in Romania for too many years, but I remember I didn't have time for TV in my last year in school. And I studied hard, and the reward wasn't my average grade, but what I studied and the hard work i invested and the discipline of studying hard. And I didn't know if I will ripe the fruit of my labors. I had to wait for years to see how it paid off to learn to keep my eyes of the goal, and bottom line, every little thing I learned growing up came in handy at some point or a noter. Just like the fairytale stories, and the journey of protagonists.

No comments:

Post a Comment