Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Do you ever feel left out?

Life in a community, feeling like an outsider. 
Think about all the messages you have sent in the past. Messages of auto-sufficiency, maybe the insecurity of not belonging made you seem overly confident, which pushed people away.
Funny enough, vulnerability attracts people. And there is something to be said about wanting to be vulnerable with only some people, and not quite everybody. 
When you love your solitude, it's not as stringent the need to be surrounded by friends, but the less social you are the harder it is to get back into the swing of things.
People do forget about you. Life is busy. They don't feel the need to talk to you every week... 
That's why we get paired in groups of 2, through marriage. You acquire a full time companion. 

Getting invited to parties, to bible studies, to exclusive camps... Someone has to remember your name.

What if you give the impression that you believe that you are better than everyone else. You are proud, you talk to much and you act as if you know everything. 
In every relationship you sight to have an ounce of humility, an ounce of courage, wit, patience, learn to be a listener, more than a talker. Don't bad talk anybody, no gossiping! If you do, the friends you'll keep are they themselves the gossiping type. and they will gossip about you when you're not around. 

You are not funny if you embarrass your friends with your jokes. Self irony is safe and funny. 

Enough with the self pity! 
You are cool enough to make friends. Be realistic about what friendship means. It's ok to be selective. Find friends with similar interests and ideals and most importantly: values. People of integrity that you can still keep a conversation with.
I know I am picky, but I don't have to talk only to people I co sider my friends, and cool enough for me to talk to. I can be the leader myself. I can give of my time to people who I think they have nothing to give me. It will always surprise me how much I have to learn from everybody. 

Be humble, be kind, be confident, and lastly: be cool. It's ok to be cool! 

No comments:

Post a Comment